photo 1-1.png photo 2.png photo 3.png photo 4.png photo 5.png photo Untitled-2.png

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Allergy Proof Recipes for Kids Review


Recently I trialed a few recipes from Allergy Proof Recipes for Kids by Leslie Hammond and Lynne Marie Rominger.  I had really high hopes for this book, but unfortunately the recipes I tried were less than stellar.  The ideas for the recipes sounded great, and I really wanted them to taste excellent, but at the core they were flavorless and had a strange aftertaste.  The main dish recipe that I tried (and consequently decided the test of the cookbook was over because it was so bland) was the pastitsio.  The pasta with meat sauce was easy (you just add some onion and garlic to jarred tomato sauce) and then there is this white goo you make that is meant to be a white sauce, but it is literally gooey and disgusting.  You paste it over the top of the pasta, and it hardens so the pasta clumps together.  All of the red sauce is absorbed in the pasta, and so it’s pink pasta with a hard white shell on top.  As a result this cookbook is not for us.  I wish it was, because I love an allergy friendly cookbook, but I plan to look elsewhere for future recipes for my family!  If you still want to try it out, you can buy it  on amazon on amazon here.

2 comments:

  1. See, this is one of the problems with dairyfree and sometimes gluten-free cooking that I tend to run into. The meals do NOT fit our taste palates at all. I'm always so scared to try new recipes especially when I need to fork out a lot more for specialty ingredients. You can't always go by reviews because a lot of people like the nasty stuff that our family won't eat. To me, if it tastes "normal" then we will eat it LOL It's just so hard to tell without wasting money on the ingredients that will go to waste. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more Ila! Some people say some recipes are just to die for, and then I make them and I think "how could someone really like this that much?!" I know taste is very subjective though and people might think that about my recipes too, which is totally fine! I am like you though, my goal is always to try to get it to taste as close to "the real thing" as possible!

    ReplyDelete